One of the happiest moments of her life allegedly led a Bronx woman to the unemployment line.
Nurse’s aide Tanya Gamble claims she was regularly promoted and given raises at Fieldston Lodge Care Center in the Bronx until May 2019, when a video of her engagement to her girlfriend was posted to Facebook.
The clip “immediately” made the rounds at the Bronx nursing home where no one knew Gamble was gay, prompting “negative attention” from colleagues, she charges in a Manhattan Federal Court lawsuit.
“You don’t look gay,” one colleague allegedly told Gamble, while another quipped, “I didn’t know you were like that,” snapping his fingers at her, according to the complaint.
Others repeatedly asked if she planned on going to the Gay Pride Parade, Gamble claimed in court papers.
In the weeks after the video was revealed, Fieldson bosses allegedly retracted a previously made offer to promote Gamble to staffing coordinator.
“The daily comments, awkward silence and looks, as well as jokes, continued until” she was fired in August 2019 after six years on the job, she charges in the legal filing.
Her bosses allegedly told her, “We don’t need you anymore. We will find someone else to do your job.”
She claims her sexual orientation “was the motivating, if not the only factor” in her wrongful termination.
- Denrele Edun finally reveals sexual orientation
- “Doyin Okupe, no amount of prayer can change your son’s sexual orientation” Human rights lawyer writes
- Transgender Nigerian, Miss Sahhara slams Victoria Inyama for saying Bolu Okupe shouldn’t have made his sexual orientation public
- People’s sexual orientation and preferences should be ‘personal’ – MzVee
- US house of representatives passes Equality Act, prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity
- Waist Beads, Nose Rings, Multiple Ear Piercings Depicts Witchcraft and Unnatural Sexual Orientation – Nigerian Gospel artiste, Pastor Afy Douglas
- We Ghanaians won’t accept any ‘alien’ sexual orientation – Gyampo warns
- Amazon fired single mom for bringing son to office, lawsuit claims
- Starbucks fired NJ barista for refusing to wear ‘Pride’ shirt, lawsuit claims
- Justin Bieber files $20 million defamation lawsuit over sexual assault claims