The NYPD is stepping up its presence around City Hall, Trump Tower, federal buildings and other high-profile locations following an FBI warning of more possible attacks like the deadly US Capitol riot, officials and sources said Thursday.
Times Square, Washington Square Park, the Trump International Hotel and federal courthouses are among the other spots seeing an enhanced NYPD footprint through at least Inauguration Day, according to a law-enforcement source familiar with an FBI memo sent Wednesday to the department.
In a conference call held Thursday with reporters, John Miller, the NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism, repeatedly stressed that the department was not aware of any specific, credible threats against the city, but said that a cautious approach was nevertheless wise.
“I think you’ll see additional police resources around City Hall between the 17th and the 20th,” he said, in one example. “Not because we have specific intelligence or any information that there will be activity there, but out of an abundance of caution because I think during this time it is prudent to protect government installations and sensitive locations.”
In addition to bolstering existing presences at high-profile locations across the city, cops will be prepared to roll out in response to any additional threats as they crop up, sources said.
At federal buildings, such as US courthouses, the Finest will augment standing ranks of federal guards, according to insiders.
The tightening of defense comes just over a week after supporters of President Trump mobbed the US Capitol building in Washington, DC in a fruitless but destructive attempt to prevent Congress’ certification of Joe Biden’s presidential election win.
The uprising left five people dead, including a Capitol Police officer.
In response, the FBI issued a nationwide bulletin warning authorities to be on heightened alert for armed demonstrations both in DC and at the capitols of all 50 states — with similar advisories since extended to the NYPD and other police departments across the country.
In addition to a more robust deployment at home, the NYPD is also sending about 200 of its cops down to DC to help police the inauguration.
Miller said Thursday that those Finest would be “deputized as federal law-enforcement officers” for the day.
He said that it was an unprecedented step for a nearly unprecedented time.
“We have never had Americans fighting Americans on the streets of the nation’s capital or anything like that probably since the Civil War,” he said.
- NMA reveals how COVID-19 cases are increasing in NigeriaIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Suspected yahoo boys filmed spraying bundles of money into a river (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021A video has surfaced on social media showing the moment some young Nigerian men believed to be internet fraudsters, commonly called yahoo boys were ...[Read more]
- Watch Kamaldeen Sulemana’s cheeky finish for Nordsjaelland in win over HelsingorIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 16, 2021Black Stars teenage sensation, Kamaldeen Sulamana, scored an amazing goal for Norsdjaelland in their 4-2 win over FC Helsingor in a friendly played ...[Read more]
- 2021: Fresh prophecies about Pope Francis, Pastors Kumuyi, Adeboye, Bakare, T.B Joshua, Oyedepo, others emergeIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Paternity Scandal: ‘I’m not leaving my husband’ – Wife of FCMB MD, NuruIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Socialite Susan Gutfreund sells $7.4M spoils of family’s tarnished pastIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021In the mid-1980s, Susan and John Gutfreund were the queen and king of New York’s high-society scene, making their mark in Page Six with their ...[Read more]
- Infrastructure: Senator Orji tasks leaders on welfare of citizenryIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- Three suspected armed robbers arrested in OsunIn Local NewsJanuary 16, 2021No fewer than two persons have been arrested for illegally sewing uniform of Oyo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun. DAILY POST ...[Read more]
- Aguleri/Umuleri crisis: Obiano imposes 3-day curfewIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- The true story of Allan ‘Mr. Apology’ Bridge, founder of an apology hotlineIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021New York is a city of secrets. The man who called himself Mr. Apology knew more than 100,000 of them thanks to his Apology Line, which let people ...[Read more]