A beloved cop who joined the NYPD two decades ago just before the Sept. 11 terror attacks has died of COVID-19, officials said Thursday.
Officer Michael Mundy, 45, died Wednesday night, becoming the latest cop to die of the bug, according to police.
“It is with extreme sorrow, that we announce the untimely passing of Police Officer Michael Mundy,” a tweet by the NYPD’s 77th Precinct reads. “Faithfully serving the people of Brooklyn for nearly twenty years, Officer Mundy was the cop that we all aspire to be. We’ll miss you, Mike.”
Mundy, who lived in Brooklyn, worked in the 77th Precinct, police said.
The NYPD has suffered 55 COVID-related deaths as of Thursday. A department housing officer died of the virus last month.
- Target shoplifter shoves NYPD officer, fracturing his knee, cops say
- Michael Irvin Dodged Death in a Bizarre Police Officer’s Murder-for-Hire Scheme
- Missouri police officer who killed Michael Brown faces no charges
- One police officer dies after gunmen attacked police station in Imo (photos)
- NYPD officer found unconscious in East Village police station
- Annual NYPD calendar features police pups and friends, honors slain officer
- “African Michael Jackson” Fans React To Michael Zubby’s Photo On IG
- Black Man Dies As A Result Of Being Pinned Down To The Ground By A US Police Officer
- Black man dies after being shot by a white Police officer in AtlantaÂ (Videos)
- Police officer dies of Coronavirus at Abeokuta’s FMC