They just can’t get it up.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s bid to erect 10 new skyscrapers around Penn Station — including one with the eyebrow-raising name of “PENN 15” — may have shriveled under the state budget deal reached by the governor and legislative leaders on Tuesday.
Language in the budget bill set for approval Tuesday authorizes a $1.3 billion loan to fund Cuomo’s “Empire State Complex” revamp of the railway hub — but explicitly restricts use of the money to transportation.
Instead of being spent on land for new office towers, the money “shall only be used in furtherance of [expanding Penn Station] or other transportation improvement projects and not for above-grade development,” according to the bill.
Cuomo’s years-old vision would demolish much of the neighborhood surrounding Penn Station and Madison Square Garden to make way for supertall skyscrapers — in part by classifying the area as a “blighted slum.”
At 1,216 feet, PENN 15, located at 15 Penn Plaza, would be the development’s centerpiece. The project would be led by Vornado Realty Trust, which is owned by Cuomo donor Steven Roth.
But state funding for now will be limited to the effort to remodel and expand track capacity Penn Station — satisfying state legislators opposed to Cuomo’s above-ground vision.
Neighborhood opponents have accused Cuomo’s development push of being indifferent to local input.
State officials have said they plan to move through the project without a “ULURP,” or Uniform Land Use Review Procedure — a standardized process for public review of projects in the city.
“I am extremely concerned about a project of this magnitude — larger than even Hudson Yards — somehow being approved without local consultation and planning,” state Sen. Brad Hoylman told The Post.
Hoylman called Cuomo’s plan “another giveaway to developers.”
“With a vacancy rate at over 17 percent in Midtown we need to think about creating jobs, not employee office space,” he said.
The MTA has said Penn Station — which is notoriously cavernous and dingy — can be renovated and improved without relocating Madison Square Garden, which sits right on top of the bustling transit hub.
- “I Spent Almost 7 Million On My Divorce And 3 Million On Custody Of My Child” – Relationship Expert, Blessing Okoro RevealsIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Relationship expert, Blessing Okoro has revealed that she had to show off some financial muscle before she was able to get through with ...[Read more]
- HG2 Filmmaker Shares His Thoughts On Why Relationships Don’t Last These DaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A die-hard fan of Wizkid, HG2 Filmmaker has shared his thoughts on why relationships don’t last these days based on what he has seen. ...[Read more]
- 4 arrested in Adamawa over alleged kidnap, extortionIn Local NewsApril 21, 2021Four suspects have been arrested by the Adamawa State Police Command for allegedly kidnapping some people and extorting money from others. The Police ...[Read more]
- Alex Unusual Reacts To Claims Of Dating BBNaija’s PrinceIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaija reality show star Alex Unusual has reacted to claims of dating BBNaija star Prince wondering how someone could even ask her ...[Read more]
- “People face battles that you don’t know of” – BBNaija’s Diane to fan who wish to be like herIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021BBNaija reality star, Diane Russet lectures a fan on why it is wrong to wish to be like her or someone else rather than seeing notable individuals as ...[Read more]
- Daniel McKorley named U-17 Inter club Champions League ChairmanIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement Ghanaian business magnate, founder and chief executive officer of McDan Group of Companies, Daniel McKorley has been named as Chairman ...[Read more]
- “If A Man Buys Me A Car, I Won’t Appreciate It As Much As I Would If He Gets Me A Shop- DidieIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian fast-rising actress, Didie Kanem has explained why she values growth and assets more than luxury. Didie Kanem caused a ...[Read more]
- “Scam and extortion must stop” – Tuface Idibia drags NCDC for their poor work ethicsIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Nigerian singer Tuface Idibia took to his social media to call out Nigerian Center For Disease Control (NCDC) over scams and extortion towards ...[Read more]
- GFA to launch Juvenile League April 28In GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Ghana Football Association is set to launch the 2020/21 Juvenile Football league season. The launch is scheduled for Wednesday, ...[Read more]
- Annie Idibia Causes A Stir As She Unveils New LookIn EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Nollywood actress Annie Idibia have sparked reaction on social media after showing off her new look. The mother of two, via her Instagram, is seen ...[Read more]