There’s a lot of pork, and even some bison, embedded in the state’s $212 billion budget agreed to by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Legislature.
One $4,605,000 line item in the budget is targeted for “services and expenses of contractual payments related to the retention of professional football in Western New York.”
That would be state money for the Cuomo-favorite Buffalo Bills football team, which made a playoff run earlier this year.
Spend-thrift lawmakers also put out a slew of press releases Wednesday boasting about how they delivered the bacon in the state budget — fueled by more than $4 billion in tax hikes on upper-income New Yorkers and corporations despite the state receiving $12.6 billion in federal coronavirus stimulus funds.
Bronx Sen. Gustavo Rivera told constituents there a “continuing $108 million for the development of the Kingsbridge Armory” in his district.
The facility has been dormant for decades. There’s been talk of the armory being turned into a hockey complex after a planned shopping complex fell through years ago.
Rivera also said he secured “at least” $650,000 for local organizations in his Bronx district, including senior centers, community centers, free legal service providers, and community health centers.
There’s a $2 million re-appropriation for the Hispanic Federation.
Indeed, hundreds of cultural and community groups get funding.
The Belle Harbor Yacht Club garners $45,000 for “building improvement.”
There’s promotional grants for scores of agricultural groups, including $125,000 for Christmas tree farmers association “to promote Christmas trees” and $50,000 to Hop Growers of New York to promote New York hops.
Grants are seemingly awarded to nearly every county business trade group group and local improvement district.
For example, $500,000 apiece went to the Brooklyn Alliance, Inc and the Queens Chamber of Commerce.
Lawmakers also reported boosting aid by $25 million to the Securing Communities Against Hate Crime Program to bolster safety at private and parochial schools.
After recently approving the legalization of marijuana, lawmakers steered $250,0000 to Cornell University for the “Cannabis Workforce Initiative.”
Tens of millions of dollars spending are listed as “lump sum” appropriations — meaning the public doesn’t know precisely where the money is going, critics said.
One budget watchdog said the massive state spending was beyond the pale amid a pandemic and despite the fact that Albany received $12.6 billion in federal COVID stimulus funding.
“The budget also includes an unexplained, out-of-the-blue $385 million appropriation for the state’s biggest capital pork barrel fund, the State and Municipal Facilities Program, even though nearly $2 billion remains unspent and local governments whose projects are funded with SMFP money are already awash in federal stimulus cash,” said EJ McMahon, fiscal analyst at the Empire Center for Public Policy.
- Man who threw bleach, Molotov cocktail at cops had five more explosivesIn USAApril 19, 2021The unhinged motorist who tossed a cup of bleach in a cop’s face then hurled a lit Molotov cocktail at a police vehicle had five more of the ...[Read more]
- “23 And Still A Virgin” – Nigerian Lady BragsIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Sighted on her Twitter account, the lady known as Queen Tonia and uses the handle @Queenistonia proudly announced that she is 23 years ...[Read more]
- Yemi Alade Bags A Mouthwatering 8 Figure DealIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian songstress, Yemi Alade has bagged a mouthwatering eight-figure deal. The musician disclosed this in a recent post she made on ...[Read more]
- Angry Man Utd players clash with Woodward over Super League plansIn SportsApril 19, 2021Tottenham striker, Harry Kane has sent a message to Jose Mourinho, thanking the Portuguese who was axed by the club earlier on Monday. According to ...[Read more]
- ‘Don’t Marry When You’re Broke Even If Your Husband-To-Be Is Rich’ — Alex Unusual To LadiesIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaija star, Asogwa Alexandra who is known as Alex Unusual has advised ladies against marrying when they know they are broke. ...[Read more]
- Whether CBN Prints Money Or Not Isn’t An Issue- APC Replies Obaseki, PDPIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The ruling All Progressives Congress APC has shot down the allegations of Governor Obaseki that the country is being plunged into chaos ...[Read more]
- Rosy Meurer Flaunts Her Awesome Postpartum Body In Latest PostIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian actress, Rosy Meurer has taken to social media to flaunt her awesome postpartum body. The beautiful actress and mother of one ...[Read more]
- EPL: Thank you for everything – Harry Kane tells MourinhoIn SportsApril 19, 2021Jose Mourinho has spoken on his future few hours after he was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur. Mourinho, however, refused to to comment on the shock ...[Read more]
- Super League: Why this idea will not go far – Wenger warns Arsenal, Chelsea, othersIn SportsApril 19, 2021Jose Mourinho has spoken on his future few hours after he was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur. Mourinho, however, refused to to comment on the shock ...[Read more]
- 8 repentant militants, kidnappers become pastorsIn Nigeria NewsApril 19, 2021General Overseer of the Omega Power Ministries (OPM), Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere has revealed that eight repentant Niger Delta militants and ...[Read more]