White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Thursday dismissed the possibility that tepid Democratic support for reopening schools will hurt the party with voters.
A reporter asked Psaki at a by-phone press conference about a concerted Republican attack on Democrats, including President Biden, who have been shy about advocating for reopening amid nationwide resistance from Democrat-aligned teachers unions.
“Let me first say on the political front that no polling I have seen has shown that is effective, and there was actually a poll out yesterday that showed that President Biden and teachers were the most trusted entities in terms of determining when school should reopen,” Psaki said, apparently referring to a Morning Consult/Politico poll that found a partisan divide on the issue.
In response to a follow-up question, Psaki said that “the president, the vice president and this White House don’t see reopening schools through a political prism. We see it as what’s in the interest of teachers, of students, of families, of parents. And we want to do it safely.”
She added, “Kids are not Democrats or Republicans. And their parents — I think this is an issue that all Americans care deeply about.”
The White House stance on restarting in-person school a year into the COVID-19 pandemic recently evolved as fed-up parents fume over delays due to teachers union resistance, despite a green light from federal health officials.
Biden on Tuesday said Psaki was wrong when she said his school reopening goal was to have half of schools open by late April for as little as one day per week.
“That’s not true. There was a mistake in the communication,” Biden said at a CNN town hall. “I think many of them will be do five days a week, the goal will be five days a week.”
Biden’s CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said early this month that schools can safely reopen even without teacher vaccination. Psaki initially said Walensky was speaking only in her “personal capacity.” On Sunday, Biden’s chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci said it would be “optimal” but not essential for all teachers to be vaccinated.
The CDC on Friday released guidelines saying even hard-hit areas can restart classes safely if they routinely screen for the virus.
Preliminary research found low rates of virus transmission within schools.
Psaki on Thursday called for passage of Biden’s proposed $1.9 trillion pandemic stimulus plan — being rammed through Congress without Republican support — and said it contains needed funds for schools.
“What is within [Biden’s] power is that we are working with Congress to get additional funding which is essential to many school districts across the country so that they can follow and take these mitigation steps recommended by the CDC, including masking, smaller class sizes, that there are more bus drivers hired, that there are more teachers hired if needed. That’s within the president’s power, something he’s focused on every day and night, so that we can open schools, open them five days a week within 100 days, and that’s where his focus is,” she said.
Republicans are pointing out that billions in funds for schools already are approved and must be distributed. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said this month that December legislation brought to $68 billion the amount already appropriated for K-12 schools, but that just $4 billion had been spent — with 94 percent left to dispense.
- Serie A: Signing Cristiano Ronaldo was a mistake by Juventus – CassanoIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Andrea Pirlo has blamed his inexperienced players for their 1-1 draw against Hallas Verona in their Serie A game on Saturday. Juventus missed the ...[Read more]
- Breaking: Zamfara State Abducted School Girls ReleasedIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021According to a report from a source, we hear that the abducted schoolgirls of the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State have regained ...[Read more]
- Strictly Ladies: After Davido Publicly Dumped Chioma, Here’s How To Handle Breakup In NigeriaIn Celebrity News, LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021It is no longer news that Nigerian music star just dumped his baby mama after been snapped holding hands with another lady. So how do you handle such ...[Read more]
- Jinapor, Asenso Boakye, and Mustapha Yussif have proven NPP youth have a future – Salam MustaphaIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021The Director of Programmes at the Office of the Vice President Salam Mustapha has noted that the Ghanaian youth is intelligent and will excel when ...[Read more]
- Serie A: Pirlo blames his players after 1-1 draw with VeronaIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Andrea Pirlo has blamed his inexperienced players for their 1-1 draw against Hallas Verona in their Serie A game on Saturday. Juventus missed the ...[Read more]
- Golden Shoe: Top 10 Europe’s highest goal scorersIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has said their 20 straight wins in all competitions, may be the best thing they have ever achieved. Ruben ...[Read more]
- Lala Akindoju And Husband, Chef Fregz, Welcome Baby BoyIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nollywood actress, Lala Akindoju and Chef Fregz have welcomed their first child, a baby boy. The proud dad who recently ...[Read more]
- Actress Lala Akindoju, husband welcome first childIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021The news that Nigerian singer, Davido, has found a new lover has stirred a lot of reactions from Nigerians on social media. The Nigerian singer in a ...[Read more]
- Why Cubana ChiefPriest allegedly distanced himself from Davido’s fiancee, Chioma,In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nigerian celebrity barman, Cubana ChiefPriest is allegedly beefing Davido’s third babymama, Chioma. Blogger Cutiejul claimed that Cubana distanced ...[Read more]
- “I can’t stand this I’m unfollowing you now” – Zubby Michael tackles Ini Edo (Screenshot)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 28, 2021Nollywood actor, Zubby Michael has tackled veteran actress, Ini Edo after she shared new photos on Instagram. Ini Edo caused a stir on Instagram ...[Read more]