The Sergeants Benevolent Association says it may have to defend the NYPD from the New York attorney general’s lawsuit over the police response to the George Floyd protests because NYC is “unlikely to adequately represent their interests or the SBA’s interests,” new court docs say.
An attorney for the SBA wrote in a letter to Manhattan Federal Judge Colleen McMahon, which was filed in the South District Tuesday, the union expects to intervene “to protect the rights of their members” — and NYC police unions may sign onto the defense too.
The letter says Mayor Bill de Blasio, one of the three defendants in the AG Letitia James’s lawsuit filed last month, won’t protect the cops’ interests because he’s publicly endorsed reform.
“Mayor [Bill] De Blasio…publicly responded to the Attorney General’s complaint by announcing that he ‘couldn’t agree more that there are pressing reforms that must–and will–be made this year,’” the letter reads.
The rare legal action brought by James claims the leadership of the NYPD failed to step in when cops were violating protesters’ civil rights and pushes for sweeping reforms.
It also calls for a federal monitor to oversee the systemic changes “to end the pervasive use of excessive force and false arrests by the New York City Police Department against New Yorkers in suppressing overwhelmingly peaceful protests.”
The SBA says it should have a say in those reforms.
“The requested injunctive relief has the potential to make substantial changes in police policies and practices, including terms and conditions of employment affecting the personal safety of officers,” according to the letter. “In particular, the systemic remedies sought in People may affect officer conduct and safety during large protests or riots.”
“We also believe the SBA will be helpful to the Court in assessing the pending claims.”
The letter also notes three other lawsuits brought against the mayor, Police Commissioner Dermot Shea, Chief of Department Terence Monahan and individual cops over the police response to the protests over the summer.
No other unions have filed similar letters.
- I check my wife’s phone every morning to block “creepy” men that send her messages – Man writesIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021A Nigerian man has revealed how he checks his wife’s phone every morning to block some creepy men that send her love messages. He also disclosed how ...[Read more]
- I Love Money But I Can’t Marry Ned Nwoko – Jane ObiIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Beautiful fast-rising Nollywood actress, Jane Obi, gave her thoughts on marriage polygamy, and money during a recent interview, where she declared ...[Read more]
- Pregnant woman narrates how she landed in trouble after allowing her husband’s brother shave herIn Viral NewsFebruary 28, 2021A pregnant woman has narrated how she got into trouble with her husband, after she allowed his brother to shave her. Sharing her story to popular ...[Read more]
- Two armed robbery suspects arrested in Ogun (photo)In NewsFebruary 28, 2021Men of Ogun state police command in the early hours of Saturday, February 27, arrested two armed robbery suspects while operating at Shagamu ...[Read more]
- Same-Sex Marriage Won’t Happen In Ghana Under My Tenure – Nana Akufo-AddoIn Celebrity News, Ghana, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021The recently re-elected President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo has declared during a recent programme that same-sex marriage will be legalised under his ...[Read more]
- Kidnapped Zamfara schoolgirls regain freedomIn NewsFebruary 28, 2021The school girls who were abducted from the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State have regained their freedom. The girls are ...[Read more]
- Serie A: Signing Cristiano Ronaldo was a mistake by Juventus – CassanoIn SportsFebruary 28, 2021Andrea Pirlo has blamed his inexperienced players for their 1-1 draw against Hallas Verona in their Serie A game on Saturday. Juventus missed the ...[Read more]
- Breaking: Zamfara State Abducted School Girls ReleasedIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021According to a report from a source, we hear that the abducted schoolgirls of the Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State have regained ...[Read more]
- Strictly Ladies: After Davido Publicly Dumped Chioma, Here’s How To Handle Breakup In NigeriaIn Celebrity News, LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021It is no longer news that Nigerian music star just dumped his baby mama after been snapped holding hands with another lady. So how do you handle such ...[Read more]
- Jinapor, Asenso Boakye, and Mustapha Yussif have proven NPP youth have a future – Salam MustaphaIn Ghana, NewsFebruary 28, 2021The Director of Programmes at the Office of the Vice President Salam Mustapha has noted that the Ghanaian youth is intelligent and will excel when ...[Read more]