Embattled New York City mayoral candidate Scott Stringer vowed Tuesday to stay in the race, claiming he’s “never felt this good” about his campaign — despite a sexual assault allegation against him and a growing list of endorsers jumping ship.
“Only when the voters decide they don’t elect me, I guess I’m out,” Stringer, the city’s comptroller, told NY1’s “Mornings on 1” when asked if he would withdraw. “I think people are going to support me and I’ve never felt this good about this campaign, believe it or not.”
Stringer has denied the allegations made against him last week by lobbyist and comedian Jean Kim, who says he groped and kissed her and made repeated unwanted sexual advances when she was an unpaid intern on his public advocate campaign when he was a State Assemblyman.
The 61-year-old longtime Democratic politician claims Kim, 49, was a 30-year-old volunteer and “peer,” not an intern, for his campaign and that the two had an “on-and-off” consensual relationship.
Stringer insisted again Tuesday the allegations were “totally and completely false” —even as he spoke of the importance of ensuring that “women are heard” when they come forward with sexual misconduct allegations.
“There’s no merit to it. It didn’t happen,” Stringer said. “And I just want everybody to know that this is not who I am.”
He went on to insist he will be able to earn the backing of Big Apple voters.
“I think New Yorkers will be able to figure it out,” he said. “I think that when you go out into the streets, the churches and subway stations, I think that there’s tremendous support for me. I believe I’m going to be the next mayor.”
Stringer touted his endorsement from the UFT, and from Teamsters Local 237— representing school safety agents, among others—which gave him a timely nod on Monday.
Asked about recent polling, which shows he is trailing behind Andrew Yang and Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, Stringer insisted his campaign would surge.
“I am the greatest comeback candidate that we’ve seen in quite a while, I was down 20 points at this time with Eliot Spitzer, and I won that race,” he said of his 2013 comptroller primary bid. “I don’t listen to these polls.”
- Bayelsa Councillor rejects fundraising after she built bridge with funds meant for her official carIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021A Bayelsa State councillor, Onem Miracle Tyna, has rejected offers of a GoFundMe or any other fundraising campaign planned on her behalf by members ...[Read more]
- Villagers stunned to find giant frog as big as ‘a human baby’In LifestyleMay 10, 2021Frogzilla! Solomon Islands villagers were flabbergasted after encountering a frog as big “as a human baby” during a hunting expedition, the ...[Read more]
- I’m Still Your Crush, Don’t Try To Play Me – Olakunle Churchill ClaimsIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Newly married Olakunle Churchill has come through with some shades saying he knows he’s someone’s crush asking the person not to try ...[Read more]
- Biafra, Oduduwa: Hypocrite, Nigeria must break up – Pastor Giwa replies T.B JoshuaIn Biafra, NewsMay 10, 2021The Senior Pastor of the Awaiting the Second Coming of Christ Ministry, Adewale Giwa, has responded to T.B Joshua’s declaration that Nigeria will not ...[Read more]
- UK Army tests suit that can make their soldiers fly in the air (Video)In Viral News, World NewsMay 10, 2021The British Royal Navy and Royal Marines may soon be using a kit that would give their officers an aerial advantage during operations. According to ...[Read more]
- Paris court tries anti-racism activist for statue attackIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021PARIS — A French activist for Black rights went on trial in Paris on Monday for defacing a statue of a historical figure from France’s colonial, ...[Read more]
- Elevator packed with law enforcement officers collapses in BrooklynIn USAMay 10, 2021An elevator collapsed in a Brooklyn building Monday morning with about two dozen members of federal and local law enforcement agencies inside, ...[Read more]
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]
- Why are people getting choked up watching this Extra gum commercial?In LifestyleMay 10, 2021This one hit hard. An epic new commercial for Wrigley’s Extra brand gum that celebrates the end of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021 is giving cooped up ...[Read more]
- Why are people getting choked up at this ad for gum?In LifestyleMay 10, 2021This one hit hard. An epic new commercial for Wrigley’s Extra brand gum that celebrates the end of the COVID-19 pandemic is giving cooped up viewers ...[Read more]