Disgraced former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver has been sprung from federal prison early on furlough — while he awaits a decision from the agency on whether he can serve out the remainder of his term in home confinement, a report said Tuesday.
Silver — who has served less than a year of his 6 1/2-year sentence — was cut loose from Otisville Prison, in Orange County, New York, and released to his home while awaiting the decision, a source familiar with the matter told the Associated Press.
The crooked former pol was released under DOJ’s expanded powers to grant inmates release amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to the report.
In a statement, the Bureau of Prisons said Silver is still “designated” to Otisville Prison, but added that it has the power to transfer inmates to their home on furlough.
“We can share that the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has authority to transfer inmates to their home on furlough for periods of time while they may continue to be considered for home confinement designation,” a spokesperson said.
The BOP recently notified prosecutors in the Southern District of New York that it was considering cutting Silver loose on home confinement, a spokesperson for the district told The Post.
In an email response sent yesterday, the prosecutor’s office — which secured a guilty verdict against Silver for corruption-related crimes during his run as an Albany power broker — stressed that it ardently opposes the move, the spokesperson said.
Silver was sentenced last summer after avoiding lockup for more than five years after he was first convicted.
At his sentencing, Judge Valerie Caproni admonished the crooked politician, who was convicted of illegally using his office to benefit two real estate developers in exchange for cash.
“This was corruption pure and simple,” Judge Caproni told the disgraced ex-speaker, whom she had already sentenced twice.
“The time, however, has now come for Mr. Silver to pay the piper,” Caproni added.
At the sentencing in Manhattan federal court, Silver apologized for his crimes — and his attorney urged the judge to give him a lenient sentence in light of his advanced age and because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“He doesn’t deserve a premature death or to die in prison,” his attorney, James Loonam, said at the time.
- Young man caught for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta stateIn Viral NewsMay 9, 2021A young man has been apprehended for allegedly stealing a generator and a mattress in Delta state. According to a report, the incident occurred in ...[Read more]
- Olakunle Churchill, Welcomes Actress Rosy Meurer With A Bouquet of Flowers, As She Returns To Nigeria With King Churchill Jnr [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Olakunle Churchill, the estranged husband of popular Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh, treated his wife, Rosy Meurer to a resounded ...[Read more]
- Monarch released by kidnappers after N700, 000 ransom, accuses subjects of abandonmentIn Local News, NewsMay 9, 2021A traditional ruler in Esuk Atu village in Calabar Municipal Council of Cross River State, Etubom Nto Okon Etim has regained his freedom from his ...[Read more]
- Man Happily Tattoo Mercy Eke’s Face On His Arms – VideoIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT A full-grown jobless man has tattooed the face of BBNaija star Mercy Eke on his arms despite all the brouhaha going on ...[Read more]
- Kaduna mob kill man for stabbing resident to deathIn Local NewsMay 9, 2021Bandits on a revenge mission yesterday afternoon reportedly killed 11 villagers and injured others when they attacked Tsatskiya community in Safana ...[Read more]
- “I love you scatter” – Banky W celebrates his wife, Adesua Etomi on mothers’ dayIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Sensational singer and actor, Olubankole Wellington, popularly known as Banky W has celebrated his wife, Adesua Etomi in the most adorable way on ...[Read more]
- Many Women Want To Have Kids For Me, That’s Why I Don’t Cheat – Mr IbuIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Veteran Nigerian actor, Mr. Ibu legally known as John Okafor has opened up on why he made a decision never to cheat on his wife. ...[Read more]
- Two more anti-Asian bias incidents reported in Brooklyn, QueensIn USAMay 9, 2021Enlarge Image Ida Chen, a physician assistant student, unfold a banner she carry at rallies protesting anti-Asian hate, Saturday April 24, 2021, in ...[Read more]
- Eric Adams says he’s concerned about wealthy New Yorkers fleeing cityIn USAMay 9, 2021Mayoral hopeful Eric Adams is concerned about wealthy New Yorkers fleeing the city — and says a safer, cleaner city would help keep them here. “I ...[Read more]
- “His teacher described him as a kind boy” – Linda Ikeji opens up on why she does not spank her sonIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Billionaire blogger, Linda Ikeji has opened up on the fact that she doesn’t spank her son, Jayce, yet he’s growing up to be a kind boy. The mother of ...[Read more]