The sister of a homeless man charged in the deadly weekend stabbing spree on the A Train was shocked to learn of his alleged crimes.
“This is a surprise to me. He was normal, as far as I saw,” Lisbeth Astwod, 27, said of her 21-year-old brother, Rigoberto Lopez.
Lopez was captured Saturday night and charged with the stabbings that left two people dead and two others wounded since 11:30 a.m. Friday, police have said.
Police said Lopez, who most recently lived in a Boerum Hill shelter, has at least four prior arrests and has battled mental-health issues.
Astwod affirmed her brother faced bouts of depression.
“He used to get depression, but was never diagnosed with schizophrenia or anything like that. The only drugs I knew of him using was marijuana,” she said.
One of Lopez’s previous arrests was for possessing a controlled substance, police have said.
Before living at the shelter, Lopez, according to his sister, lived with his family in the Bronx. But was eventually kicked out by his two older brothers.
“There were some issues about the way he was acting. He didn’t like the way the house was being run. He’d tell our mother how to wash the dishes, things like that,” Astwod said.
His parents now both live in the Dominican Republic, while his two brothers live separately in the Bronx, according to Astwod.
Lopez has been charged with one count of first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of second-degree attempted murder in connection to the recent subway stabbings.
He was nabbed while still covered in blood and with the alleged murder weapon, law-enforcement sources have said.
- Suspected ‘A-Train Ripper’ is ordered held without bail amid stabbings
- Kin of ‘A-Train Ripper’ once bailed him out of jail — and now wish they hadn’t
- This photo of ‘A-Train Ripper’ knife shows specks of blood
- Dad of woman allegedly killed by ‘A-Train Ripper’ Rigoberto Lopez issues urgent plea to NYC
- City Hall probing how ‘A-Train Ripper’ slipped through system, de Blasio says
- Family of ‘A-Train Ripper’ victim launches GoFundMe to cover funeral costs
- ‘A-Train Ripper’ couldn’t meet with social worker due to COVID-19, brother claims
- A-Train Ripper: NYPD says lone stabber may be responsible for all four attacks
- A-Train Ripper: Serial killer loose on subway, say cops
- ‘A-Train Ripper’ busted, still covered in blood, in knife attacks on NYC subway