Bronx state Sen. Luis Sepúlveda turned himself in to the NYPD Tuesday morning for allegedly assaulting his wife, according to police sources.
Sepúlveda, 56, and his wife, Elizabeth Sepúlveda, filed separate reports accusing each other of assault during a domestic dispute on Friday, Jan. 9.
The top Bronx Democrat — who chairs the state Senate Crime Victims, Crime and Corrections Committee — was charged with criminal obstruction of breathing, sources said.
It was unclear whether his wife will be arrested, police sources said, adding it would be up to the Bronx district attorney.
Sepúlveda was being processed Tuesday afternoon at Central Booking and is expected to appear before a judge.
Sepúlveda’s relationship with his wife has been strained in the past, and she had previously sought an order of protection against him — which was later withdrawn, according to the Gotham Gazette.
State Senate leadership will move to strip Sepúlveda of all committee assignments.
“We learned of this disturbing incident this morning. I am immediately removing Senator Sepúlveda as chair of his committee and from all his committee assignments,” announced state Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D-Yonkers) in a prepared statement.
“I take these allegations extremely seriously and will be monitoring this situation closely.”
State Assemblywoman Nathalia Fernandez (D-Bronx) called for the senator’s resignation on Twitter.
“Unfortunately, this is not the first time allegations of domestic violence have been brought against Senator Sepúlveda. We need leadership that empowers women — I’m calling for the Senator to submit his resignation,” she tweeted.
State Senate Republicans similarly decried the news.
“As Chair of the Crime Victims, Crime & Correction Committee, Senator Sepúlveda has an obligation to protect vulnerable individuals. Instead, he has advanced harmful policies that have made it more difficult for our law enforcement officials to do their jobs, and made our communities less safe,” said state Sen. Minority Leader Rob Ortt (R-Lockport).
“As an alleged abuser himself, he has no right leading that committee, and these allegations must be promptly investigated. If these allegations are true, he should resign immediately.”
A request for comment to Sepúlveda’s office from The Post was not immediately returned.
- Four reportedly killed, residents desert community as cultists clash in BakassiIn Local NewsJanuary 17, 2021Two cemetery guards were on Sunday arrested by men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps for alleged ...[Read more]
- Ex- Oyo Amateur Boxing Chair, Opaleye is deadIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021A former Chairman, Oyo State Amateur Boxing Association, Mr. Akintunde Opaleye is dead. DAILY POST gathered that Olaleye died on Sunday at the ...[Read more]
- Arsenal vs Newcastle: Gunners give injury updates on Martinelli, TierneyIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, will have Gabriel Martinelli and Kieran Tierney available for Monday night’s Premier League game with Newcastle. ...[Read more]
- Video captures suspects in Staten Island recording-studio shootingIn USAJanuary 17, 2021Chilling video shows the moment two armed suspects burst into a Staten Island recording studio Saturday and opened fire — killing a 23-year-old man ...[Read more]
- EPL: Why Man Utd’s 0-0 draw with Liverpool will not be good result – SolskjaerIn EPL, SportsJanuary 17, 2021Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, will have Gabriel Martinelli and Kieran Tierney available for Monday night’s Premier League game with Newcastle. ...[Read more]
- Two cemetery guards in Amotekun net over alleged possession of human headsIn Local NewsJanuary 17, 2021Two cemetery guards were on Sunday arrested by men of the Ondo State Security Network Agency, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps for alleged ...[Read more]
- Rotimi Amaechi injured, using crutches [Photos]In NewsJanuary 17, 2021The Network for Democracy and Development (NDD), has warned that schools are still not safe for students and teachers to resume, due to poor ...[Read more]
- Bandits kidnap, kill Catholic Priest in Niger StateIn Local NewsJanuary 17, 2021Armed bandits have invaded Sharu village, Igabi local government area of Kaduna State and killed an 80-year-old woman, Hauwwa Umaru. Security ...[Read more]
- Alleged money ritual; Prophet seen spraying money on young men in a river (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 17, 2021A viral video has captured moment an Anambra based Prophet, Onyeze Jesus, was seen performing rituals on some young men in a river. In the video ...[Read more]
- Details of Mesut Ozil’s new contract revealedIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021Mesut Ozil’s imminent transfer to Fenerbahce is getting closer, with the player already appearing to have confirmed his new shirt number, the UK ...[Read more]