The co-owner of a Staten Island bar arrested for running his pub without a license and in defiance of COVID-19 restrictions was released with a series of tickets, officials said Wednesday morning.
Daniel Presti, 34, was allegedly uncooperative when officers issued Mac’s Public House several violations for flouting city and state orders.
He was arrested for obstructing governmental administration, and has also been charged with multiple violations of city and state laws, according to NYC Sheriff Joseph Fucito.
The business — which called itself an “autonomous zone” in a nod to the anti-cop protesters in Seattle, Wash., who took over a section of that city in June — has received numerous complaints for indoor dining in an Orange Zone and operating past the 10 p.m. curfew imposed by Governor Cuomo’s executive order.
The state yanked the bar’s license to sell booze last week.
Plainclothes deputies went inside the establishment at 4:40 p.m. Tuesday and ordered food in exchange for a mandatory $40 “donation,” Fucito said.
Uniformed deputies went in an hour later and found 14 people inside the pub, the majority eating and consuming alcoholic beverages.
Deputies also issued tickets to bartender Yareth Urkonis, 28, cook Matthew D. Soto, 31, and eatery attorney Louis Gerolmino, 55.
About 50 angry supporters of the bar descended on the establishment as officers executed their order.
Fucito described them as “verbal but peaceful.”
The crowd chanted, “Free Keith McAnerney now,” referring to the bar’s other owner — though it did not appear he was there at the time.
The angry crowd also yelled, “We’re going to defund the sheriffs!” and vented about Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio.
No injuries were reported, and there were no additional arrests, Fucito said.
- Kukah will be crucified if he challenges govt – Cleric, Abubakar MalamiIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, on Friday, donated the sum of N5 million and 150 bags of 50kg rice to widows of fallen heroes in the state ...[Read more]
- Police debunks purported kidnap of 18 traders in KogiIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Coalition of South-East Professionals Network in Nigeria and Diaspora, CSEPNND, has accused a desperate politician of sponsoring Nnamdi Kanu, the ...[Read more]
- 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: Ugwuanyi donates cash, food items to widows of fallen heroesIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State, on Friday, donated the sum of N5 million and 150 bags of 50kg rice to widows of fallen heroes in the state ...[Read more]
- 2023: S/East group reveals who’s bankrolling Nnamdi KanuIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Coalition of South-East Professionals Network in Nigeria and Diaspora, CSEPNND, has accused a desperate politician of sponsoring Nnamdi Kanu, the ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Lagos govt confirms date for reopening of schoolsIn Education, NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Federal Government has been warned against reopening of schools in the country. Olusegun Bamgbose, Esq., National Coordinator, Concerned ...[Read more]
- Biden picks NYC emergency management chief Deanne Criswell to head FEMAIn USAJanuary 15, 2021The head of New York City’s Office of Emergency Management, Deanne Criswell, is bound for Washington, D.C., where she will head FEMA, the federal ...[Read more]
- Lady displays fast fingers at a wedding as she stylishly packs meat, wine and other items (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 15, 2021A video has surfaced online showing a woman demonstrating how swift she can get with her hands at the reception of Nigerian wedding. The lady who was ...[Read more]
- Nigerian military inflicts heavy casualties on Boko Haram in Borno [VIDEO]In Boko Haram, NewsJanuary 15, 2021Some policemen who were deployed to monitor the gubernatorial election in Ondo State have appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Inspector ...[Read more]
- 10,000 Police officers beg Buhari, IG for Ondo election allowancesIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021Some policemen who were deployed to monitor the gubernatorial election in Ondo State have appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Inspector ...[Read more]
- Bauchi Gov, Mohammed consoles family of fallen heroesIn NewsJanuary 15, 2021The Bauchi State government on Friday revealed plans to rehabilitate the tomb of Nigeria’s first and only Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, ...[Read more]