Big Apple straphangers aren’t the only ones getting bruised during the recent uptick in violence in the New York City subway system.
Felony assaults on cops in the subways are also on the rise, with 15 attacks on police officers in January — up from just five over the same month in 2020, NYPD Transit Chief Kathleen O’Reilly said Thursday.
O’Reilly, speaking during an MTA board meeting, said that was a big chunk of the total of 43 felony assaults in the tubes last month.
The release of the stats come amid growing concern over an increase in transit violence in the city, with reports of straphangers punched, shoved, or slashed on the rise in recent weeks.
NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said last week that he would beef up the police presence by about 500 more officers following a bloody slashing rampage on the A line that left two dead and two others wounded.
MTA Chairman Pat Foye said that Thrusday that the NYPD has already deployed 644 more cops to the subway system in recent days — but it’s not enough.
Foye reiterated MTA’s call for a total of 1,500 more officers patrolling the subways.
“This is a good first step,” Foye said of the cops deployed so far. “But we’re going to need roughly 900 more polcie officers to provide the kind of coverage and security that our customers and decidated employees deserve.”
“I’ll note that our request will bring us back to the level of NYPD staffing in the subways that existed in 1995, when the New York City Transit Police merged with the NYPD to form today’s NYPD Transit Bureau,” he said.
Transit officials say overall crime is down in the subways — and ridership is down about 70 percent — but with felony assaults and attacks on cops on the rise, a stronger police presence is needed.
- Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid: Zidane’s squad for LaLiga clash confirmedIn SportsMarch 6, 2021Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has released a 20-man squad to tackle Atletico Madrid in the LaLiga games on Sunday evening. The Frenchman ...[Read more]
- Burnley vs Arsenal: I’m really disappointed, we gave them hope – ArtetaIn SportsMarch 6, 2021
- BBNaija Nengi Is Ghanaian Royalty In These Alluring New SnapsIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, GhanaMarch 6, 2021BBNaija Nengi Hampson is showing us that she is true Ghanian royalty in these alluring new snaps. The reality star who has Ghanian roots joined ...[Read more]
- EPL: Fabregas gives N’Golo Kante nicknameIn EPL, SportsMarch 6, 2021
- Andrew Cuomo accuser Lindsey Boylan blasts SUNY chancellor for ‘defaming’ herIn USAMarch 6, 2021Lindsey Boylan, who accused Gov. Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment, is taking aim at a former colleague she accuses of “defaming” her online. Boylan, ...[Read more]
- AFCON: Benin Republic to defeat Nigeria with clubless players, benchwarmersIn SportsMarch 6, 2021
- Time To Ban Our Princes From Marrying American Women – Piers MorganIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 6, 2021Veteran British broadcaster Piers Morgan is once again dragging the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle. The media personality recently took to his ...[Read more]
- Burnley vs Arsenal: Arteta reacts to Xhaka-Leno mixup after 1-1 drawIn SportsMarch 6, 2021Aston Villa goalkeeper, Emiliano Martinez, has said he left Arsenal due to lack of trust. The Argentine came through the ranks at the Gunners after ...[Read more]
- King Faisal announce signing of defender Paul AidooIn Ghana, SportsMarch 6, 2021Ghana Premier League side, King Faisal, have announced the signing of defender, Paul Aidoo, in the ongoing second transfer window until the end of ...[Read more]
- Kanayo O Kanayo’s Instagram Account And Email HackedIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 6, 2021Kanayo Nollywood star Kanayo O Kanayo has taken to social media to announce that his Instagram account and email have been hacked. The actor in a ...[Read more]