An Asian man was elbowed in the chest by a hate-filled attacker who sneered, “If you’re not Bruce Lee, then f–k off” at him in a Manhattan subway station Wednesday, cops said.
The 42-year-old victim was waiting on the southbound B train platform at the 86th Street/Central Park East station around 12:15 p.m. when he was attacked by Janaria Kelley, according to police.
Kelley, 55, then fled on a southbound train, but was quickly nabbed at Columbus Circle.
He was charged with aggravated harassment as a hate crime and assault, cops said.
Kelley has six prior arrests, including one for forcibly touching a 66-year-old Asian woman on March 10, according to police sources.
That incident happened in front of 173 Canal St. in Chinatown when he allegedly grabbed the woman’s privates around 12:15 p.m., the sources said.
He was charged with forcible touching and sexual abuse, court records show. He has a follow-up court date in that case on April 27.
The race-fueled incident Wednesday comes amid a recent wave of crimes against Asians in the Big Apple and beyond, including the brutal beating of a Filipino American woman in front of a Manhattan apartment building on March 29.
The NYPD has recently assigned additional undercover officers to combat the surge in hate crimes.
- “Allow me to enjoy myself” – Little boy screams while consuming bottle of alcoholic drink amid cheers (Video)In Viral NewsApril 17, 2021Video footage captures the moment a little boy entertained the audience as he consumed a bottle of alcoholic drink with much ease. In the video, the ...[Read more]
- Dad who wrote scathing letter to Brearley about race focus: ‘Someone had to’In USAApril 17, 2021A father fed up with an elite Manhattan prep school’s heavy-handed focus on race won’t re-enroll his daughter in the fall, accusing the school of ...[Read more]
- Random ‘sucker-punch’ assaults leave frightened NYC residents on edgeIn USAApril 17, 2021An Upper West Side man is cold-cocked in Chelsea. An unhinged stranger throws a roundhouse at a woman outside a subway station on the Upper West ...[Read more]
- New York’s COVID-19 hospitalizations, positivity rate dropsIn USAApril 17, 2021The number of New Yorkers hospitalized with COVID-19 continues to sink, along with the state’s positivity rate, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday. ...[Read more]
- Colleagues demand justice in death of pregnant lawyer Adaeze IkpeamaIn Local News, NewsApril 17, 2021Madonna University Alumni Association (MUAA) has expressed shock and remorse over the demise of Adaeze Destiny Ikpeama. The deceased, a member of the ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Guardiola defends Man City’s team selection after 1-0 defeat to ChelseaIn SportsApril 17, 2021Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has defended his team selection following a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday. ...[Read more]
- Police busts teenage robbery gang in LagosIn Local NewsApril 17, 2021Armed men suspected to be killer herdsmen, have butchered a family of four and three other residents of Mbamondu community, Modern Market Council ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Guardiola gives reasons why Chelsea beat Man City in semi-finalIn SportsApril 17, 2021Alan Shearer and Ashley Cole have hailed Timo Werner’s performance, in Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Manchester City in the FA Cup semi-finals. Werner ...[Read more]
- I sacrificed my parents for Biafra, I will sacrifice everything – Nnamdi Kanu vowsIn Biafra, NewsApril 17, 2021The high cost of food and the intense heatwave has made the 2021 Ramadan fast most difficult according to Zamfara residents. The rise in temperature ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Alan Shearer, Ashley Cole name Chelsea player who made Man City struggleIn SportsApril 17, 2021Chelsea players are shocked with the manner with which manager Thomas Tuchel has gradually dumped Tammy Abraham out of the squad, the Telegraph ...[Read more]