Sweet’N Low magnate Donald Tober, who committed suicide in Manhattan last month, left his wife a $30 million fortune, new court paper show.
The 89-year-old artificial sweetener tycoon — who had been battling Parkinson’s disease — leapt to his death from his luxury Park Avenue apartment building on Jan. 15.
The CEO and co-owner of the New York-based 1,400-employee Sugar Foods — which made the iconic pink-packet sweetener, Sugar in the Raw and N’Joy non-dairy creamer — left wife Barbara Tober his entire estate, according to his will filed in his Manhattan Surrogate’s court last week.
Tober had no children, the court papers show.
“I give the balance of my estate … to my wife if she survives me,” Tober’s Oct. 5, 2018 will reads.
Specifically, Tober left Barbara the 11th-floor Park Avenue coop pad that they lived in together and all of his belongings — including furniture, art and cars, the court papers show.
Tober’s will also specified that all of his stock in Sugar Foods — which stopped distributing Sweet’N Low 15 years ago — should be sold off. Then, the executors of his estate should “distribute to my wife outright all proceeds of such sale,” and place any promissory notes from the sale in a trust “for the exclusive benefit of my wife,” the court documents say.
Other papers filed in the case estimate the estate to be worth roughly $30 million.
Barbara was the editor-in-chief of Brides magazine for 30 years and a former trustees board chair at the Museum of Arts and Design in Manhattan.
After Tober’s death, Steve Odell — his business partner of 51 years — told The Post, that Tober was up against a “devastating” disease, “especially for someone as active as he was.”
But, his friend’s suicide still came as a shock to Odell who had spoken to Tober the day before and hadn’t suspected anything, he said at the time.
Odell said that Tober, “left us with eight words, and we live them every day. The first two words are ‘Be prepared.’ The second are ‘Show up.’ The third two words are ‘On time.’ And the last two are ‘Follow through.’ “
“He did that every day, all day, through his career,” Tober said at the time.
Both Barbara and a lawyer on the estate case did not immediately return requests for comment.
- Where 2021 NYC mayoral candidates send their kids to schoolIn USAApril 17, 2021As co-chair of the mayor’s School Diversity Advisory Group, Maya Wiley advocated to end the city’s Gifted and Talented program, the specialized ...[Read more]
- “Allow me to enjoy myself” – Little boy screams while consuming bottle of alcoholic drink amid cheers (Video)In Viral NewsApril 17, 2021Video footage captures the moment a little boy entertained the audience as he consumed a bottle of alcoholic drink with much ease. In the video, the ...[Read more]
- NYC sees ‘unprecedented’ amount of COVID vaccine availabilityIn USAApril 17, 2021New York City was awash in COVID-19 vaccination opportunities Saturday, a possible turning point in the inoculation campaign where supply may be ...[Read more]
- Dad who wrote scathing letter to Brearley about race focus: ‘Someone had to’In USAApril 17, 2021A father fed up with an elite Manhattan prep school’s heavy-handed focus on race won’t re-enroll his daughter in the fall, accusing the school of ...[Read more]
- Random ‘sucker-punch’ assaults leave frightened NYC residents on edgeIn USAApril 17, 2021An Upper West Side man is cold-cocked in Chelsea. An unhinged stranger throws a roundhouse at a woman outside a subway station on the Upper West ...[Read more]
- New York’s COVID-19 hospitalizations, positivity rate dropsIn USAApril 17, 2021The number of New Yorkers hospitalized with COVID-19 continues to sink, along with the state’s positivity rate, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday. ...[Read more]
- Colleagues demand justice in death of pregnant lawyer Adaeze IkpeamaIn Local News, NewsApril 17, 2021Madonna University Alumni Association (MUAA) has expressed shock and remorse over the demise of Adaeze Destiny Ikpeama. The deceased, a member of the ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Guardiola defends Man City’s team selection after 1-0 defeat to ChelseaIn SportsApril 17, 2021Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola, has defended his team selection following a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday. ...[Read more]
- Police busts teenage robbery gang in LagosIn Local NewsApril 17, 2021Armed men suspected to be killer herdsmen, have butchered a family of four and three other residents of Mbamondu community, Modern Market Council ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Guardiola gives reasons why Chelsea beat Man City in semi-finalIn SportsApril 17, 2021Alan Shearer and Ashley Cole have hailed Timo Werner’s performance, in Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Manchester City in the FA Cup semi-finals. Werner ...[Read more]