Nearly half of the nation’s new COVID-19 cases are concentrated in just five states — including New York, which had the highest number of new infections across the country last week, data show.
Together, New York, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania and New Jersey accounted for 44 percent of all new infections between March 29 and April 4 with about 197,500 cases out of around 452,000 seen nationwide, data from John Hopkins University show.
New York, which recorded 52,922 cases last week, or an average of about 7,560 a day, accounted for about 12 percent of the nation’s total cases.
Just behind the Empire State was Michigan, which has been grappling with a surge of new infections and recorded 47,036 new positives over the last week, or an average of about 6,719 each day — nearly double what it was two weeks ago, data show.
Together, New York and Michigan accounted for 22 percent of all new cases across the nation last week.
Florida logged 37,927 cases, while Pennsylvania and New Jersey saw around 29,847 and 29,753 new infections, respectively.
The concentration of new cases has prompted some experts and elected officials to call on the Biden administration to ship additional vaccines to hotspots — though the White House has made no indication they plan to shift their policy.
While sending extra doses to hot spots sounds logical, it could mean states that are doing a better job of controlling the virus will see fewer doses, noted Dr. Elvin H. Geng, an infectious diseases professor at Washington University.
“You wouldn’t want to make those folks wait because they were doing better,” Geng explained.
“On the other hand, it only makes sense to send vaccines to where the cases are rising.”
Mayor Bill de Blasio has repeatedly demanded more vaccine supply from the federal government, saying Tuesday “We still need supply, supply, supply.”
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said she asked the White House last week whether it’s considering sending extra vaccine to states like hers and was told all options are on the table.
She said she didn’t plan to tighten restrictions to handle the surge and instead blamed it on pandemic fatigue and more contagious variants of the virus.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy said he is constantly in talks with the White House about demand for the jabs, but stopped short of saying he’s asking for more doses to handle the high infection rate. He noted that vaccine shipments to the Garden State are up 12 percent in the last week — but he still questioned if it was enough.
“We constantly look at, OK, we know we’re going up,” Murphy said.
“But are we going up at the rate we should be, particularly given the amount of cases we have?”
With Post wires
- “People face battles that you don’t know of” – BBNaija’s Diane to fan who wish to be like herIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021BBNaija reality star, Diane Russet lectures a fan on why it is wrong to wish to be like her or someone else rather than seeing notable individuals as ...[Read more]
- Daniel McKorley named U-17 Inter club Champions League ChairmanIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement Ghanaian business magnate, founder and chief executive officer of McDan Group of Companies, Daniel McKorley has been named as Chairman ...[Read more]
- “If A Man Buys Me A Car, I Won’t Appreciate It As Much As I Would If He Gets Me A Shop- DidieIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian fast-rising actress, Didie Kanem has explained why she values growth and assets more than luxury. Didie Kanem caused a ...[Read more]
- “Scam and extortion must stop” – Tuface Idibia drags NCDC for their poor work ethicsIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Nigerian singer Tuface Idibia took to his social media to call out Nigerian Center For Disease Control (NCDC) over scams and extortion towards ...[Read more]
- GFA to launch Juvenile League April 28In GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Ghana Football Association is set to launch the 2020/21 Juvenile Football league season. The launch is scheduled for Wednesday, ...[Read more]
- Annie Idibia Causes A Stir As She Unveils New LookIn EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Nollywood actress Annie Idibia have sparked reaction on social media after showing off her new look. The mother of two, via her Instagram, is seen ...[Read more]
- JUST IN: Akuapem Poloo Granted BailIn EntertainmentApril 21, 2021Rosemond Brown aka Akuapem Poloo has been granted bail after she was sentenced to 90 days in prison for posting a n*de photo of herself and her son ...[Read more]
- Simi opens up on the struggle of motherhood, getting bullied by her daughterIn Celebrity NewsApril 21, 2021Award-winning singer, Simisola Kosoko, a.k.a Simi speaks on the challenges of raising her daughter, Adejare, regarding random bullying act every once ...[Read more]
- ‘Your Scam And Money Thieving Portal Is Becoming Embarrassing’- Singer, Tuface Idibia Calls Out NCDC For Frustrating TravelersIn Nigeria NewsApril 21, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Tuface Idibia who shared videos of him ranting while at the NCDC, bemoaned the exorbitant COVID-19 compulsory fees travelers have to ...[Read more]
- GFA Executive Council begins broader consultation on reasons behind recent fans misbehaviourIn GhanaApril 21, 2021Advertisement The Executive Council of the Ghana Football Association has begun a broader consultation on reasons for the recent attacks on match ...[Read more]