For the first time in 35 years, drivers will be tolled in both directions on the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge starting Tuesday.
Cars with an E-ZPass will be charged $6.12 in either the Staten Island or Brooklyn directions, the MTA announced earlier this month — half the current Staten Island-bound toll.
Most other drivers will pay $9.50, compared to the existing one-way toll of $19. Staten Island residents will only be charged $2.75 to cross the bridge in either direction.
Brooklyn-bound vehicles have been exempt from paying since 1986 federal legislation made the span the only one in the country with mandatory one-direction tolls.
The highest-in-the-nation toll encouraged some 7,000 daily drivers to opt for a toll-free route through Manhattan, clogging up the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and Manhattan’s Canal Street.
President Trump and Congress repealed the statute in 2019 with the support of outgoing Congressman Max Rose (D-Staten Island) and other New York City officials.
- 42 cases of UK COVID-19 variant detected in New York, Cuomo saysIn USAJanuary 27, 2021A total of 42 cases of the highly contagious UK variant of the coronavirus have now been detected in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo revealed Wednesday. ...[Read more]
- 20-year-old lady accuses biological father of raping herIn Local NewsJanuary 27, 2021A 20-year-old lady on Wednesday accused her father of allegedly raping her in Owo, headquarters of Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State. The lady, ...[Read more]
- Hushpuppi Dumps His High profile Lawyer PodbereskyIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021Ramon Abbas aka Hushpuppi’s case has reportedly suffered a major setback as his high profile American lawyers Gal Pissetzky and Vicki Podberedky have ...[Read more]
- ‘COVID-19 did a real number on me’ – Cee-CIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021The Federal High Court Ikoyi, Lagos State, on Wednesday, admitted more evidence against Azeez Fashola, popular musician also known as Naira Marley. ...[Read more]
- 12 essential additions to spruce up your home officeIn LifestyleJanuary 27, 2021Whether you’re looking to make a high-end home office makeover of a spare room or trying to carve out some usable space under the stairs, you still ...[Read more]
- Nigerian man becomes a CEO and US citizen 20 years after his parents borrowed $1500 to send him abroadIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A Nigerian man, Ayo Philips, has celebrated his recently earned new citizenship with a backstory of sacrifice. Ayo took to social media to reveal ...[Read more]
- Your 20s Is For Exploring And Dating – Toke Makinwa Tells LadiesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Media personality, Toke Makinwa in a recent episode of her Toke Moments told women that their 20s is meant for dating and exploring. The media ...[Read more]
- Adekunle Gold issues strong warning to Vee after she tackled him for requesting birthday gift like BBNaija housemates (Screenshot)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Nigerian singer, Adekunle Gold has issued a warning to former BBNaija housemate, Vee after she tackled him for requesting gift on his birthday. ...[Read more]
- I Won’t Apologise For My 2010 World Cup Goal Miss – AiyegbeniIn Celebrity News, SportsJanuary 27, 2021Retired Super Eagles striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni has insisted he won’t apologise for his horrific South Africa 2010 World Cup open goal miss against ...[Read more]
- I’ll play twenty percent fit Asamoah Gyan–Bashir HayfordIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 27, 2021Legon Cities head coach, Bashiru Hayford, says he will play Asamoah Gyan if even he is 20% fit but has confirmed he’s out with a groin injury. The ...[Read more]