A wealthy, 89-year-old artificial sweetener magnate who made Sweet’N Low a household name has committed suicide by jumping from his Park Avenue apartment building, law enforcement sources told The Post.
Donald Tober, CEO and co-owner of the New York-based Sugar Foods, leapt to his death just after 5 a.m., and was found in the courtyard of the luxury Upper East Side building between 65th and 66th streets, the sources said.
He was struggling with Parkinson’s disease, the sources said.
At the helm of Sugar Foods, Tober turned the company’s flagship product, Sweet’N Low, and its ubiquitous little pink packets, into a mainstay on kitchen counters and restaurant tables across the country, along with Sugar in the Raw and N’Joy nondairy creamer.
“Basically, we’re concerned with everything that surrounds the coffee cup,” Tober told Restaurant News in 1995. “We’re tightly focused.”
By the mid-’90s, some 80 percent of foodservice establishments used Sweet’N Low; the sweetener also commanded more than 80 percent of the sugar substitute market, Restaurant News reported.
“Donald IS Sweet’N Low,” then-president of Sugar Foods Steve Odell told the magazine.
“Don’s had as much to do with building Sweet’N Low into a household name as anyone ever has with a product. Every packet of Sweet’N Low sold today can be traced back to a single sales call that he probably made or at least had a part in.”
A Harvard Law School grad, Tober was a former chairman at The Culinary Institute of America and a founder of City Meals-on-Wheels.
He was the husband of Barbara Tober, who worked for three decades as editor-in-chief of Brides magazine and was a former trustees board chair at the Museum of Arts and Design in Manhattan. The couple lived on the building’s 11th floor.
While it no longer distributes Sweet’N Low, Tober’s company currently manufactures a range of sweeteners and other products for supermarkets and foodservice industries under the N’Joy and Almond Breeze lines.
Additional reporting by Amanda Woods
- ‘You’re big sellouts!’ – Angry Sammy Gyamfi publicly names, shames Bagbin, Muntaka, and Haruna IddrisuIn Ghana, NewsMarch 4, 2021The National Communications Director for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Sammy Gyamfi has said that the leadership of the NDC in Parliament ...[Read more]
- “I started my record label in the living room” – Wizkid narrates how his record label, Starboy Entertainment came to lifeIn Celebrity NewsMarch 4, 2021Superstar singer and songwriter, Wizkid has narrated how his record label, Starboy Entertainment started from scratch without finance. According to ...[Read more]
- Fireboy DML Drops Visuals For Hit Single “Champion” Ft D SmokeIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 4, 2021Singer Fireboy DML has dropped the visuals to one of the singles “champion” ft American rapper D Smoke off his second studio album Appollo. The ...[Read more]
- Happy FM Confirms The Death Of DJ AdviserIn EntertainmentMarch 4, 2021The Management of the Global Media Alliance Group has confirmed the death of DJ Adviser on their official Instagram page. Earlier this morning, DJ ...[Read more]
- ‘Depressed’ Tracey Boakye Says She Won’t Reply To Depressed People On Social Media AgainIn EntertainmentMarch 4, 2021Tracey Boakye who looks like a depressed person says that she won’t reply to depressed people on social media again. According to her in an Instagram ...[Read more]
- Mugabe Maase gives detail info on Gh¢5Million ‘vetting motivation’ given to NDC MPs in exchange for approvalIn Ghana, NewsMarch 4, 2021Fire spitting journalist with Power FM aligned with the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) Mugabe Salifu Maase has alleged that an amount ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: China Makes Anal Swabs Compulsory For Foreign TravellersIn Celebrity News, coronavirus, COVID-19, Nigeria News, World NewsMarch 4, 2021China has announced that anal Swabs will now be compulsory for foreign travelers to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The government claimed ...[Read more]
- It’s Hard To Recognize Juliet Ibrahim In Her Own Birthday Photos – Too Many Filters And EditingIn EntertainmentMarch 4, 2021Juliet Ibrahim is celebrating her 35th birthday and the pictures she’s posted to her Instagram page have raised questions as to whether she is the ...[Read more]
- EPL: N’Golo Kante predicts Liverpool vs ChelseaIn EPL, SportsMarch 4, 2021Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp, has provided the latest update on Alisson Becker, Fabinho and Diogo Jota, ahead of his side’s Premier League clash ...[Read more]
- Liverpool vs Chelsea: Klopp gives update on Alisson Becker, Fanbinho, Diogo JotaIn SportsMarch 4, 2021Liverpool manager, Jurgen Klopp, has provided the latest update on Alisson Becker, Fabinho and Diogo Jota, ahead of his side’s Premier League clash ...[Read more]