A Philadelphia woman punched out by cops during a wild, 2018 caught-on-video beach brawl in New Jersey is getting the last laugh.
Emily Weinman, whose violent arrest at a Wildwood beach went viral — and who was later banned from the sunny summer spot — is getting a $325,000 settlement from the city, the Star-Ledger said.
Weinman, who was 20 at the time, was seen on both bystander and police bodycam footage being wrestled to the ground and punched twice by one of the officers while she screams.
The scuffle began when cops confronted Weinman — who was with her boyfriend, her 18-month-old child and a friend — about having alcohol at the Jersey Shore beach during Memorial Day weekend.
The video starts with Weinman taking a breathalyzer test — but the encounter takes a turn when the cop begins to write her a summons for having alcohol and she refuses to cooperate and begins to walk away.
“Get over here,” the cop says.
“Don’t touch me. Don’t touch me,” Weinman responds.
“Alright,” the officer says. “You’re about to get dropped.”
“Yo, don’t touch me,” she answers. “What are you doing? Don’t touch me.”
She then lunges at the officer and is wrestled to the ground, where she continues to struggle and yell at the cops to let her go.
Finally, one of the officers is seen punching her while she screams.
“You’re not allowed to beat me like that,” she yells. “I’m a woman. It doesn’t matter. You’re not allowed to hit me like that and choke me.”
Weinman continues to yell as she is handcuffed and led away.
She was later indicted on aggravated assault and resisting arrest charges and pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in February 2019 — when she was banned from the beach.
Both cops — Thomas Cannon and Robert Jordan — were cleared of wrongdoing.
But Weinman filed a federal lawsuit in Pennsylvania against Wildwood and the police department, claiming they exaggerated her resistance “to justify their unreasonable and excessive use of force,” the Star-Ledger said.
The suit was settled earlier this month, with Weinman getting the payoff.
Former Wildwood Mayor Ernie Troiano, who was in office at the time of the incident, called it “a travesty of justice,” the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.
“Here’s a woman who’s carrying on on the beach, assaulted police,” Troiano said. “They didn’t escalate it. She’s down there with alcohol. She pleads guilty, yet she gets rewarded $325,000.”
“Treat the cops like they’re trash,” he said. “Break the law if you want a payday.”
- Facebook apologizes for flagging landmark ‘Hoe’ as offensiveIn LifestyleJanuary 27, 2021Residents of “the Hoe” in Plymouth, UK, are tired of being censored on social media — and ensure they are definitely not denigrating sex workers in ...[Read more]
- Court admits evidence against Naira MarleyIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, NewsJanuary 27, 2021The Federal High Court Ikoyi, Lagos State, on Wednesday, admitted more evidence against Azeez Fashola, popular musician also known as Naira Marley. ...[Read more]
- Nigerian lady cancels date with Twitter Influencer because he showed up in a keke napepIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A Nigerian lady has revealed how she canceled a scheduled date with a man after he showed up in a tricycle. According to the lady identified on the ...[Read more]
- Go Hyper As A Wedding Guest With These 12 Aso Ebi StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021It’s midweek already and you’ve got your first wedding of the year set for this weekend and you’re out here out of sorts on what look to rock to this ...[Read more]
- I’m Sorry But No More Grunting Sex Scenes With Men For Me – Keira KnightleyIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Hollywood actress, Keira Knightley has revealed that she is no longer interested in doing sex scenes just to appeal to men; she said, calling her ...[Read more]
- President Buhari meets newly appointed service chiefs (photos)In NewsJanuary 27, 2021President Buhari on Wednesday January 27, met with the newly appointed service chiefs at the presidential villa in Abuja. Recall that after the ...[Read more]
- Thief breaks into Brooklyn mac and cheese restaurant, steals cashIn USAJanuary 27, 2021A thief shattered the window of a Brooklyn mac and cheese restaurant and climbed inside during a burglary this week, new video shows. The ...[Read more]
- NYC to receive extra 17K COVID-19 vaccine doses under new Biden initiativeIn USAJanuary 27, 2021New York City will receive about 17,000 extra doses of the coveted coronavirus vaccine starting next week under President Biden’s new push to get out ...[Read more]
- Lead Armed robber in 500k Fomena Robbery killed, accomplices arrestedIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021The police in the Greater Accra Region have killed one suspect who is said to have been involved in the robbery of a bullion van belonging to GCB ...[Read more]
- Dangbana Republik X Bella Shmurda Drops New Music “Rush”In Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Fast-rising Nigerian music sensation and voice of the street Bella Shmurda drops yet another banger for the street to go gaga over in conjunction ...[Read more]