Brazil defender, Marquinhos, has hit back at Argentine captain, Lionel Messi, after he accused the South American football governing body, CONMEBOL, of corruption.
Newzandar recalls that Messi had accused CONMEBOL of corruption over the weekend following his dismissal during Argentina’s 2-1 victory in the third place play-off against Chile.
“Corruption and the referees are preventing people from enjoying the football and they’re ruining it a bit.
“I think there’s no doubt that Brazil is going to be champions. The Copa is weighted towards Brazil,” the Barcelona superstar said.
Reacting, Marquinhos was quoted by GiveMeSport as telling reporters after Brazil defeated Peru to win the 2019 Copa America on Sunday as saying: “Many things happened in favour of him in Barcelona and in the national team and I never saw him complaining about the refereeing,” the Brazil defender said, per journalist Rodrigo Mattos.
“He has lost, [he] has to accept [it] quietly.
“It is frustrating to be held up against a player of his quality, a star who is admired by all, but the arbitrators have also favoured Messi a lot at Barcelona and in the national team.”
- Nigerians in shock as Odion Ighalo confirms his retirement from international football with Nigeria
- AFCON 2019: Another head coach sacked after country’s elimination from tournament
- BREAKING: De Ligt arrives in Turin to complete Juventus move [VIDEO]
- AFCON 2019: Pinnick ‘snubs’ Rohr during bronze medal presentation [VIDEO]
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Nigerian man destroys his TV after Nigeria lost to Algeria
- Transfer: Maguire finally leaves Leicester to undergo medicals at new club
- AFCON 2019: Coach sacked after elimination from tournament
- Real reason NFF cannot sack Rohr revealed
- AFCON 2019: Algeria defeat Senegal to lift trophy
- Nigeria vs Algeria: Joseph Yobo reveals why Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Desert Foxes